Attorneys at Jones Cork, LLP have extensive experience in both prosecuting and defending real estate condemnation actions.
- Working on behalf of utility companies, the firm has prosecuted condemnation actions before special masters and before juries in court to secure properties necessary for the construction of sewer and water lines, electrical transmission lines and telecommunication lines.
- We have been engaged by state and local governmental agencies to acquire properties necessary for carrying out local governmental functions, ranging from the constructions of roadways to the expansion of public school campuses.
- In addition, the firm has experience defending property owners against condemnation actions brought by the state, and/or local government authorities.
- We work with real estate appraisers and a variety of consultants to determine the market value of land sought to be condemned.
- We provide ancillary services in connection with condemnation actions, including examination of title, identification of property owners, preparation of legal descriptions, addressing title issues and preparation of documents for closings.
Representative clients in this practice area include Georgia Power Company, Georgia Transmission Corporation, AGL Resources, Inc., Bellsouth Telecommunications, Inc. d/b/a AT&T, Southern Telecom, Inc., and the Bibb County School District.